Thursday, June 2, 2011

What is this?

      So, I just graduated with my MLS last month. I, extremely realistic person that I am, quit my job to do this two year program in one year, figuring I'd get a librarian job STAT upon graduation.
     Um.... Nope. Not so far anyway.
     If I could have done it over I would have worked as paraprofessional library assistant and prolonged the program, doing practicums and special projects to broaden my portfolio and make more connections.
     But I didn't. Moving on.
     While reading about the librarian scene, I often see websites with lists of competencies, taken from experienced librarians and from job postings' desired skills. I haven't seen one that lists the places to gain this knowledge, though. I guess I'm going to try to make this blog sort of a pathfinder, or a documentation of my experience learning this stuff.
     It may just turn into a catchall of all my library-related thoughts, but I think that's okay. When I was researching academic libraries as I applied to jobs, I Googled staff members, and I found one in particular that kept a blog. He's a librarian, but his posts are sort of personal and informal, and made me feel like I got to know him more as a person. And wanted to work with him.
     "Oh wait, can this work the other way around?" thought bubble!
     I read his blog, get to know him, want to work at his library over other places. So, if perspective employers read my posts, maybe they'll get to know me and want to hire me? Let's hope so.
Some of the competencies I'm going to try to gain are found in job ads, this blog post, and Library 101's list of skills. I've already completed 23 Things, thanks to my fantastic information technology professor, but if you haven't, I recommend it. I am really interested in technology, and thinking about another degree in computer science, so I have a feeling I might be blogging some more high-tech skills than that site.
     Alright, stay classy blogging world, or whatever other type of sign off you want to imagine here.

No comments:

Post a Comment