Friday, June 10, 2011

YourNextRead (dotcom)

     I love free things, in particular freeware. I also love anything that allows user input. I even have an "I <3 Folksonomy" t-shirt. (Okay, no, but I'd like one).
     The other day, I discovered YourNextRead.com. It has a great, fluid interface and allows people to share recommendations by adding a title, or even simpler, click a thumbs up or thumbs down icon.


     This website was founded 2009 (or so says LinkedIn) and I consider that somewhat young for a site that requires user input and tagging. It doesn't seem to have many users (less than 300 followers on Twitter) and that limits its usefulness. More users = more (and better) recommendations. Also, more users mean better, more frequent site updates.
     I think this site has potential, though. It reminds me of NoveList, but I like it better because a. direct user-input b. FREE! Reader advisory and a free book recommendation site... Hm, does anyone else think public library?
Here's just a few casual thoughts on what YourNextRead could do to improve its site and perhaps become a NoveList competitor:

  • The site mines data from Amazon too exclusively. Let's get some other sources for reviews on that right sidebar. 
  • You're not Amazon's pimp. Stop sending users directly to Amazon when they click on a book. Clicking on a book's image should lead to a unique YourNextRead page with metadata and options for obtaining the book (Google, Barnes and Noble, eBay, Paperback Swap, WorldCat, etc)
  • That metadata should contain genres, such as those listed on Goodreads. Since YNR already has some (albeit pretty poor) Goodreads integration, perhaps those genre categorizations can be imported.
  • That metadata should also include tagging options. Netflix doesn't just categorize its movies now, it tries to better suggest options to its users by including descriptors such as "witty," "quirky," or "dark."
  • Eliminate the doubles. I don't want to see the recently reprinted edition as a recommendation for a classic book.

     I would really like to see YNR take off and be used in public libraries. Often when I'm looking for recommendations on NoveList or Amazon, I'm lead down too simple a path. A work by the same author or something in the same genre doesn't usually express why I liked the book. Suggestions from people often grab those things that aren't quite obvious, such the writing style, how deep the characters are, if some concept or place in the book is currently in vogue. I think this site can capture that part of the human reader-advisory touch (especially if librarians sitting on the reference desk added a couple recommendations each shift in their downtime...5 minutes tops) in an easily accessible database, saving me the trouble of trolling blogs and discussion threads looking for suggestions from like-minded individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment